Research: Cinnamon & Hoelen Formula (Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan) May Have Effects in Patients with Diabetes-Induced Neuropathology.
Guizhi-Fuling-Wan, a Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine, Ameliorates Memory Deficits and Neuronal Apoptosis in the Streptozotocin-Induced Hyperglycemic Rodents via the Decrease of Bax/Bcl2 Ratio and Caspase-3 Expression
Kuo-Jen Wu, Yuh-Fung Chen, Huei-Yann Tsai, Chi-Rei Wu, and W. Gibson Wood
Brain neuronal apoptosis and cognitive impairment are associated with hyperglycemia and diabetes mellitus. The present study determined if the Chinese herbal medicine Guizhi-Fuling-Wan (GFW) would reduce memory loss and neuronal apoptosis in streptozotocin- (STZ-) induced hyperglycemic rodents. Two weeks after STZ induction, GFW was orally administered once daily for 7 days. GFW significantly improved spatial memory deficits in STZ-induced hyperglycemic mice. GFW decreased TUNEL-positive cells and caspase-3 positive cells in STZ-induced hyperglycemic rats. It also was found that GFW treatment reduced caspase-3 protein levels and increased levels of the antiapoptotic protein Bcl-2 that were indicative of neuroprotection. The protective therapeutic effects of GFW on neuronal apoptosis and cognition deficits caused by STZ-induced hyperglycemia may be due in part to inhibition of the cellular apoptosis pathway. GFW may have therapeutic effects in patients with diabetes-mellitus induced neuropathology.
Copyright © 2012 Kuo-Jen Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed
under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License
2. Material and Methods
2. Extraction of GFW and Determination of Chemical Compounds by HPLC
3. Animals and Drug Administration
4. Morris Water Maze Test
5. TUNEL Assay
6. Immunohistochemical Staining
7. Western Blotting
8. Statistical Analysis
1. Treatment Effects on Body Weight and Plasma Glucose
2. Effects of GFW Spatial Performance Memory Deficits in Hyperglycemic Mice
3. Effects of GFW on Reference Memory in Hyperglycemic Mice
4. TUNEL Staining
5. Cleaved Caspase-3 Expression in Hyperglycemic and GFW-Treated Hyperglycemic Rats
6. Effects of GFW on Caspase-3 Protein Abundance in the Cortex and Hippocampus
7. Effects of GFW on Expression of Bax and Bcl
Join our member to get full-text article! Join Free!